Contrary to its name, baking soda isn't just used for baking. It is a key component in many homemade remedies, from stain/odor removers too all natural pesticides. Baking soda is most famously known for its ability to absorb unwanted odors, hence why we put it in the fridge, but it can be used for so much more...
Stain Remover -
- Mix 2 cups of water, 2 cups of white vinegar, and 4 table spoons of baking soda and you will end up with a powerful and natural stain/odor remover.
- To get rid of pesky sweat stains in your nice shirts make a paste out of a mix of water and baking soda and rub it into the stain. Let it sit for about an hour then launder.
- Pour a cup of baking soda down the drain, then add a cup of warm vinegar. Wait a few minutes then pour quart of boiling water down the drain to flush it all out.
- Laying down a line of baking soda by basement windows and other entry points to your home will help prevent insects like ants and roaches from infesting your home. The baking soda will kill the roaches by dehydrating them while having no negative health benefits on your pets or family.
- Open a box of baking soda and keep it in your fridge to reduce food odor.
- Mix a tablespoon of coffee and a tablespoon of baking soda together in a coffee filter. Tie the Coffee filter into a sachet and then place it in heavily odored area of your home (like your garbage can) to absorb the odor.
- After cooking seafood, add 3 tablespoons of baking soda and a lemon peel to 2 cups of water. Then bring to boil to get rid of any leftover fish smell.