Energy saving tips for renters-
- Turn out the lights. - This tip is fairly straightforward. Don't leave lights on in rooms if you are not in them. Just don't do it.
- Wash your clothes in cold water. - This is of course only if you have an in home washer. Washers waste more energy using hot water than just running the the motor. Remember to check the clothes you are washing because some are not supposed to be washed in cold water.
- Use LED or CFL light bulbs. - Get rid of the old incandescent light bulbs and replace them with energy saving LED bulbs or at very least CFLs. They will save you upwards of 75% more energy than incandescent bulbs.
- Adjust your thermostat. - If you do not have a smart or programmable thermostat be sure to adjust your thermostat when leaving for a while. (Turn up the temperature in the summer and turn down the temperature in the winter.)
- Open your windows. - On cooler summer days turn off the A/C and open all your windows. Not only will this save you energy but it will air out your home and let in some fresh air.
- Purchase blackout curtains. - Blackout curtains are an excellent buy for rooms that have windows directly facing the sun. When the sun beats down through windows it can raise the temperature in the room. Blackout curtains will block the sun's rays and heat from coming through, keeping the room nice and cool.
- Use surge protector power strips. -
- Air dry your laundry. - Your clothes dryer takes a lot of energy to run. If you have the room try setting your clothes out to dry on a rack or clothes line. If you do this outside your closes should gain a nice fresh air smell.